Saturday, December 11, 2010

cookies, spice and everything nice

I love exclusivelyfood so much. That blog has the perfect recipes for the cook that's been making things long enough to know a bit more than the basics, but isn't exactly a MasterChef. That is to say, most of the stuff they have is pretty fool-proof. 

My darling friend was up for the weekend, so we embarked on making a quick Christmas classic. Gingerbread is essential to Christmas, like Polka Dots are essential in 50's vintage, Dean Martin's Sway is essential in the perfect seduction, and Bookdepository to all those poor people who have to put up with Angus and Robertson.

So! Gingerbread! Used this recipe, and it came out mighty fine. I used Raw Sugar instead of Brown Sugar (despite the fact that it's practically the same) and unsalted butter, because I like my gingerbread a bit sweeter. I know it says 10 mins, but if you're like me and like your gingerbread fairly soft and chewy, check it at seven. I take it out when you can see the golden-brown tinges of a perfectly cooked base. Leave it to cool, then ice it. Betty Crocker Icing is always amazing if you can't be bothered to make your own. 




It's the perfect Sunday Morning kind of feeling - nibbling on gingerbread with a cup of Earl Grey in hand. 


Songs for inspiration:
  1. Clare Bowditch and the Feeding Set - Between the Tea & the Toast
  2. Angus & Julia Stone - Babylon
  3. School of Seven Bells - Half Asleep
  4. Goodnight Owl - Verandah * 
  5. Johnny Flynn - Tickle Me Pink
  6. The Decemberists - Red Right Ankle
  7. Iron & Wine - Fever Dream
  8. Jonsi - Tornado

*I think I got this from Triple J unearthed... I'm still hunting for the file. 

Story of the day:


No comments:

Post a Comment